Saturday, August 28, 2010

the great debate

my poor laptop is on its last leg. i've had it for over 4 years...and it was secondhand. it's struggling to stay alive and has served me well. i'm considering buying a new one (taking money from the money tree growing in the yard...ha).

for fun, i priced out some laptops from dell & hp just to get an idea of a price range for what i want. then, i hopped on over to apple's site and priced a macbook. dude. i used to not be a fan of apple and hubby has been working on me for years to look into their products. and then i got an ipod nano. and an iphone. and their stuff is pretty darn great. i asked a number of friends too, some die hard mac users & others who have made the switch - and everyone has positive things to say. in fact, i don't think i've heard anything negative. at all.

since i printed my wedding invitations from letterpress plates - that i had to manipulate & clean up digitally - i've been considering investing in something more reliable and powerful. there is serious potential in the printing market for me to start selling personalized letterpress invites & other stationary.

i priced out the adobe cs5 suite and um, OUCH. the suite costs as much as a laptop!! however, there is an online certificate program i'd like to take for graphic design that would teach me the basics of the adobe suite, plus lots of other useful stuff....and i could purchase the suite through the school for a slightly cheaper price.

so, dear readers, what are your thoughts on the great pc/mac debate? what do you prefer & why?

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I was a die hard Dell user for years. This past fall, my Dell laptop died and I decided to get myself a MacBook Pro. An Apple is definite investment, but I think it's one of the best you'll ever make.

manD said...

Macs are good for graphic arts - that was what a lot of the art students got.